KEANU M. HEYDARI
A PDF document of my CV is available upon request. Please contact me.
- 2018-Present University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ph.D. in History (in progress)
- Worked on the experimental HistoryLab graduate course in Winter 2019 with Prof. Jeff Veidlinger and Prof. Rita Chin in collaboration with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum on the Experiencing History: Holocaust Sources in Context pedagogical tool
- 2013-17 University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. in History and Minor in French, Cum laude, with College Honors
- Two-term president of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
- Member, History Undergraduate Advisory Board and Undergraduate Advisory Council (Dept. of History)
- Winner of the 2017 History Department Service Award
At the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Readings in Modern European History (HIST 643 w/ Prof. Brian Porter-Szücs)
- Temporalities & Premodernities (HIST 698 w/ Prof. Helmut Puff and Prof. Catherine Sanok)
- Independent study: “The Critical Theory of Michel Foucault” (HIST 590 w/ Prof. David Halperin)
- Independent study: “French North African Colonial Historiography” (HIST 802 w/ Prof. Joshua Cole)
- Introduction to Western Civilization: Ancient Civilizations, Prehistory to circa A.D. 843 (HIST 1A)
- Introduction to Western Civilization: Circa 1715 to Present (HIST 1C)
- Methods and Approaches in Cultural History, 1450 to 2013 (HIST 97C)
- Alexis de Tocqueville and the Origins of Modern Democracy (HIST 96W, SEM 2)
- History of France, 1715 to 1871 (HIST 124B)
- History of France, 1900 to the Present (HIST 124C)
- History of the U.S.: Colonial Origins (HIST 13A)
- Nineteenth-Century America (HIST 13B)
- An Intellectual History of the Renaissance (HIST 122A)
- Hiroshima: How We Remember the Bomb (HIST 19, SEM 4)
- Marxist and Post-Marxist Approaches to Cultural Studies (HNRS 110)
- Cultural and Intellectual History of Modern Europe, 19th Century (HIST M122E)
- The Role of Race in Presidential Campaigns, 1948 to Present (GE CLST20CW, SEM 2)
- Europe in the Age of Revolution, circa 1775 to 1815 (HIST 126)
- Capstone: Europe: Vichy and German Occupation of France during World War II (HIST 191C)
- History of Modern Europe: The Bourgeois Century, 1815 to 1914 (HIST 121D)
- Directed Research in History: Iconoclasm in the Early Modern Low Countries (HIST 199)
- French and Francophone Theater in Translation (FRNCH 161)
- Cultural and intellectual history of 19thand 20thcentury France
- Iranian immigration to France in the 20thcentury
- Growth of European nationalism(s), e.g., the evolution of popular fascism in Vichy Regime political rhetoric
- Political-theological controversies, e.g., anticlericalism from the Third Republic to modern France
- 2017 – Present Pacific Crossroads Church, Los Angeles, CA, Research Assistant & Pastoral Intern, Worked alongside Rev. Rankin Wilbourne (PCA) to assist his current research projects and to learn from/participate in various modes of pastoral work, ministry, and research.
- See Rev. Wilbourne’s book, The Cross Before Me: Reimagining the Way to the Good Life, on which I assisted.
- 2009 – 2015 Air Quality Management Services, Los Angeles, CA, Archivist, Responsible for the organization’s archival research and documentation retrieval system.
CONFERENCE PAPERS & PRESENTATIONS
PAPERS READ IN ACADEMIC CONFERENCE OR SYMPOSIUM
- May 13, 2016: “‘Decadence’ and the ‘New Order’ in the Vichy French National Revolution: The Semiotics and Cultural Logic of the Pétainiste Meaning-Making Impulse”, at UCLA’s conference Power and Politics: First Annual History Undergraduate Conference
- Heydari, Keanu. “Turner, Christian Women & Emancipation in Ritual.” FEM Magazine, 2017, pp. 32–33.
- Heydari, Keanu. “Submission: SAE Incident Reflects Culture of Hatred, Racism.” The Daily Bruin, 12 Mar. 2015.
- March 10, 2016: “Deconstructing Terror: Paris, Multiculturalism, and Comparative Politics,” Wildwood Secondary School, upper school classroom workshop.
- March 5, 2014: “Racialization, Ethnocentrism & Nationalism,” Wildwood Secondary School, upper school classroom workshop.
UNDERGRADUATE SERVICE AT UCLA
- 2014 – 2017 Member (Vice President, President, Academic Director) Phi Alpha Theta: Theta-Upsilon (National History Honor Society)
- 2015 – 2017 History Undergraduate Advisory Board (HUAB) member
- 2015 – 2016 History Undergraduate Advisory Committee (UAC) Liaison
- 2016 – 2017 Editor-in-Chief of Quaestio, the Undergraduate History Journal
- Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society – Theta-Upsilon Chapter (UCLA)
- Alpha Lambda Delta and Phi Eta Sigma National Honors Societies (UCLA)
- The American Historical Association (Student Member)
- The Society for the Study of French History
- The Society for French Historical Studies (Student Member)
- French (professional fluency)
- German (some reading and some spoken)
- Spanish (basic reading and very basic speaking)
- Farsi (basic reading, writing, and speaking)
- Arabic (basic reading)